Parking Strip Landscaping Seattle
Laws passed in the past few years allow homeowners to farm or garden in the parking strip between the street and the sidewalk without a permit as long as they comply with city mandated restrictions.
Parking strip landscaping seattle. Your visitors your neighbors and the city itself all have a relationship to your parking strip garden. This helps keep pedestrians cars visible increasing safety. Instead of a strip of high maintenance turf that gets abused by foot traffic vehicular traffic and dogs homeowners are reclaiming these small strips as gardens in their own right.
Soft colors inferno strip pre planned garden this low growing inferno strip garden is ideal for hot sunny problem areas like those found against garage walls and along driveways and roads. The seattle department of transportation sdot requires that plants in parking strips are not more than 3 feet tall. These new gardens tend to fall into one of two categories.
Discover and save your own pins on pinterest. Shrubs evergreens for sun except as noted. Mar 16 2013 this pin was discovered by chiquitanerd.
If there is a parking lane next to the planting strip there should be an 18 inch wide 45 7 cm landing strip flush with the curb. Raised beds and fixed objects. Seattle has established itself as one of the more popular places to farm the parking strip.
It may be planted with low growing groundcover or turf a mulched surface or set with pavers bricks or stepping stones. The most common landscaping strategy used to involve filling the area with grass but as the california drought continues many homeowners are swapping out this grass for water wise alternatives as a first step to going completely lawn free. Part of the hardship of it is that you aren t just creating a garden for yourself it s for the public who walks pedals and drives by your home.
Don t plant anything but very low groundcovers near fire hydrants. Parking strip gardens have become an increasingly common feature of seattle s vernacular landscape. Planning a good parking strip garden can be a challenge.
- How Many Deckmate Screws In A Pound
- How To Build A Pony Wall For Kitchen Island
- How To Climb A Steep Roof Safely
- How To Cover Round Bar Stools
- Houses With Red Shingle Roofs
- How To Build An Exterior Crawl Space Door
- How To Cancel My Terminix Account
- How Long Do First Alert Kitchen Fire Extinguishers Last
- How Long To Wait To Stain Deck After Pressure Washing
- How Much Does It Cost To Build An Interior Wall Uk
- How Soon After Grouting Can You Walk On Tile
- How To Clean A White Sheepskin Rug
- How Deep Does A Closet Have To Be To Hang Clothes
- How To Attach Garland To Brick Mailbox
- How To Clean Walls That Have Flat Paint
- How Many Wheelbarrow Loads In A Yard Of Concrete
- How To Change Light Bulb In High Ceiling
- How Long Does It Take Professionals To Install Laminate Flooring
- How Many C9 Lights Can Be Strung Together
- How Do You Make A Pyramid Out Of Wood